The real secret to mashed potatoes is to use Yukon Gold Potatoes. Once you use these light and delicious potatoes you will want to use them for all your mashed potatoes. The heavy cream and butter really adds a rich and luxurious touch to the recipe. Give these a try, I am sure you will enjoy these as much as I do. It will really impress your guests.
• 1½ lbs Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and quartered length-wise
• ½ teaspoon Salt
• 4 Tbsp Heavy Cream
• 2 Tbsp Butter
• 1 Tbsp Milk
• Salt and Pepper
1. Put potatoes into a saucepan.
2. Add 1/2 teaspoon salt. Add water until potatoes are covered.
3. Bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer, covered, 15-20 minutes, or until done - a fork can easily be poked through them.
4. Warm cream and melt butter, together, either in microwave or in a pan on the stove. Drain water from potatoes.
5. Put hot potatoes into a bowl.
6. Add cream and melted butter.
7. Use potato masher to mash potatoes until well mashed.
8. Use a strong spoon to beat further, adding milk to achieve the consistency you desire.
Do not over-beat or your potatoes will get gluey
Salt and pepper to taste.
*My Tip For Holding the Potatoes Until You Are Ready To Serve Them:
You can make these ahead of time and keep the mashed potatoes warm by holding them in a double boiler. You can use a bowl that can rest over a sauce pot with about a cup or two of hot water. Just make sure the bottom of the bowl isn't touching the water in the pot. Cover with plastic wrap. Place the pot on a light fire and keep the water at a warm simmer. You can also hold the potatoes in a crock pot at the lowest temperature. What a convenient way to keep your mashed potatoes hot until you are ready to serve.